The Cottage Hospital
In 1895, after a diphtheria epidemic struck Vernon, a committee led by Mrs. F Cameron began to canvas the city of Vernon and surrounding district for funds for a much needed hospital. In honour of Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee, it was named Vernon Jubilee Hospital. Thanks to the tireless fundraising efforts of Mrs. Clara Cameron, wife of Vernon’s Mayor, its doors opened to patients in late 1897. It offered sixteen beds and the rates were set at $1.50 per day for a public ward and $2.00 per day for a private room. There was no indoor plumbing. It became more commonly known as the Cottage Hospital.
Since then, VJH has provided outstanding acute care services to its patients. Today, Vernon Jubilee Hospital has 148 acute care beds at VJH and 746 residential, assisted living and short stay bed in Armstrong, Enderby, Lumby and Greater Vernon.
VJH serves the community as one of four Service Area Hospitals operating in Interior Health’s network of health care facilities, offering a variety of medical and surgical specialties. Programs such as Home, Community, Public, Mental Health and a wide variety of seniors’ care programs are offered in throughout the North Okanagan. All of these programs work in tandem with the hospital to ensure complete and continuing health care for patients beyond their hospital stay.