Vernon Jubilee Hospital Foundation Launches Men’s Health Month for Prostate Cancer and Cardiac Care
For the first time, Vernon Jubilee Hospital Foundation is dedicating the entire month of June to promoting men’s health. This year, the Foundation is launching North Okanagan Men’s Health Month in place of the Do it for Dad Run & Walk.
“Our new initiative will continue to benefit prostate health for local men, and will also provide support for cardiac care needs at VJH,” said Andrea Egan, Development Officer for Vernon Jubilee Hospital Foundation.
Funds raised throughout the North Okanagan Men’s Health Month will support PSA testing, the Vernon Prostate Cancer Support and Awareness Group, and the purchase of a new ECG machine and trolley for Vernon Jubilee Hospital.
“To support Men’s Health Month, we are asking that you make a donation supporting Men’s Health needs in the North Okanagan in honour of a special man in your life. In return for your donation you can present an online Father’s Day card to him, announcing your gift in support of his health,” said Egan.
Donations will stay local and benefit all men in the North Okanagan. Click here to designate your gift to either Prostate Cancer Care or Cardiac Care.
Local businesses supporting Men’s Health Month with donations include Bannister GM, Kal Tire, S.P. Seymour Ltd., Summit Financial and Watkin Motors.
This year alone 4,000 Canadian men will die of Prostate Cancer. Cardiovascular Disease remains the leading cause of death throughout the Western World and the second most common cause in Canada. Donations to Men’s Health month will stay local and benefit all men in the North Okanagan.
Ideas to support Men’s Health Month in the North Okanagan:
· Donate to VJH Foundation for Father’s Day.
· Have a workplace ‘Wear Jeans Month’, encouraging staff in your department to wear jeans in support of men’s health. For five Fridays in June, wear jeans for $5. Contact the Foundation office for Wear Jeans buttons.
· Share your health care story with a friend, family member or co-worker.
· Invite a friend, spouse, family member or neighbour to join you in a healthy activity.
· Schedule a check-up with your doctor.